Welcome to the enchanting world of Balinese stone carving! Immerse yourself in the rich cultural heritage of Taro Village as you embark on an introductory Balinese stone carving class. This unique experience will not only introduce you to the ancient art form but also allow you to express your creativity in the serene surroundings of Taro, a village steeped in tradition and nestled amidst Bali’s lush landscapes.
About the Class: Discover the secrets of Balinese stone carving under the guidance of skilled local artisans. Our introductory class is designed for all skill levels, whether you’re a novice or an experienced artist seeking to delve into the intricate world of Balinese craftsmanship. Taro Village, with its timeless ambiance, provides the perfect backdrop for this hands-on creative journey.
What to Expect:
- Introduction to Balinese Artistry: Learn about the history and significance of Balinese stone carving, gaining insights into the cultural and spiritual elements that shape this ancient craft.
- Guidance from Master Carvers: Engage with seasoned Balinese artisans who will share their expertise, techniques, and stories, providing valuable insights into the traditional methods passed down through generations.
- Hands-on Experience: Roll up your sleeves and carve your own masterpiece guided by the skilled hands of our instructors. Experience the satisfaction of transforming raw stone into a unique creation inspired by Balinese motifs.
- Cultural Immersion: Immerse yourself in the vibrant local culture of Taro Village. Take breaks to explore the scenic surroundings, interact with the friendly villagers, and savor authentic Balinese cuisine.
Materials and Tools: All necessary materials and tools will be provided for the duration of the class. Just bring your enthusiasm and an eagerness to learn!
Rough Itinerary and estimated time schedule
Pick up time: We pick you up at your hotel and transport you directly to Taro Stone Carving.
09:30 – 09:45: Arrival at Taro Stone Carving, welcome coffee or tea and laklak (traditional balinese sweets)
10:00 – 10:30: Tour of the grounds and introduction to the history of the area and the meaning and significance of the designs and motifs of Balinese stone carving.
10:30: Enter the studio, introduction to your teacher and orientation with tools and implements
11:00 – 13:00: Hands on carving studio. The teacher will help you choose a motif, and will show you the basics while carving along. Will check each student’s work and offer instruction on technique.
13:00 – 13:30: Traditional Balinese set lunch.
14:00: Board vehicle for return to your hotel or accommodation.
(This class is also available as a package with Mount Batur Sunrise Trekking!)
- Driver and air-conditioned car or mini-bus
- Coffee or Tea and Lalak (traditional Balinese Sweets)
- Stone Carving Instructor
- Use of stone carving tools and implements
- Drinking water
- Set traditional Balinese lunch
The most fantastic local experience you can have!
This experience is an extremely fun, extremely authentic way to gently steep yourself in some local balinese culture away from the hectic bustle of the cities. It felt just sheer good to be able to pick up a new skill amidst the lush greenery of Taro Kaja, an area off the beaten path of typical tourist circuits. The satisfaction of seeing something form underneath your hands is unparalleled. Budi is extremely friendly and kind, with strong experience in the tourism industry (and as such is completely fluent in english for fielding any tricky questions), before returning to work with his father- a Balinese Master Carver whom has left his imprint on many sculptures within Taro Kaja and beyond. This man is positively dripping with knowledge in the field. I cannot recommend this experience more and cannot wait to return once more with friends and family! 🙂
Very good attention
I had very good experience with Buddy. My experience in Bali was amazing thanks for everything
Nice instructor and New activity during you are in Ubud